What are the benefits of laser surgery for your pet?
A laser is a device that generates an intense beam of light that can cut, seal or vaporize tissue. Lasers have been successfully used on humans for over 30 years. This knowledge gained in human medicine is beneficial for your pets. Your pet’s health is as important to us as it is to you. Advances in veterinary medicine now allow us to offer laser surgery as an exciting new option for safer, more comfortable treatment. In many procedures, the laser can replace the scalpel and provide a better alternative to traditional surgery.
Why Laser Surgery?
- Less Pain : The laser seals nerve endings as it “cuts”. As a result, your pet will experience less pain and be more comfortable post operatively.
- Less Bleeding: The laser seals small blood vessels during surgery. This speeds many procedures, reducing the time your pet needs to be under anesthesia, which further reduces possible complications.
- Less Swelling: Laser energy does not crush, tear or bruise tissue because the only thing that touches your pet is an invisible beam of light.
What does this mean for my pet?
- Reduced Risk of Infection: As the laser removes diseased tissue, it seals the skin and reduces the amount of bacteria present.
- Precision: The laser can remove unhealthy tissue while minimizing adverse effects to healthy surrounding tissue.
- Quick Return to Normal Activities: Healing is rapid and there is less post-operative discomfort and a better course of healing.
The laser is ideal for a wide variety of surgical procedures for dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, exotics, horses and other pets. Laser surgery is commonly used in soft-tissue surgical procedures. Your veterinarian will be able to tell you if your pet’s procedure can benefit from laser surgery. Common procedures include Oral/dental surgery; Spays and Neuters; Dermatology Problems; and Tissue Removal. Veterinary Laser Surgery has improved our capabilities by allowing us to provide better pain management, less bleeding and a faster recovery time. This means we can provide our clients and their pets with improved patient care and cutting edge technology.